- August 10, 2018
The 2017/2018 year is coming to an end and many exciting initiatives that enhanced the school’s curriculum were put in place to maximize student potential and success.
- Our integrated studies project was more fully realized this year, with wider engagement and more emphasis on working through the inquiry cycle of learning. Next year we will build on this success and bring the inquiry model of learning to the wider school population.
- We enhanced our math program with a focus on Financial Literacy and will expand into the area of
Entrepreneurship with grades 7 and 8.
- This year our use of EDSBY took on a different dynamic with the introduction of Live Marks. What is essentially an active report card, Live Marks allowed our teachers to provide real-time results and gave parents immediate
access to their child’s academic growth. This level of accountability ensured the communication between home and school was tight, that accommodations were put in place quickly if needed and that the differentiation of programming for each child was a high priority. Moving forward, we hope to personalize each student’s profile even more, giving parents a greater understanding of their child’s strengths and needs and specific programming to match each child’s unique skill set.
- With new Edsby Analytics in place now, our staff will be able to look at school trends in specific subject areas and build plans to ensure quality and consistency throughout the grade levels. Monitoring student progress is always a focal point of our school and the greater use of Edsby by staff and parents alike has brought us closer together in achieving high levels of academic success. We have also taken steps to departmentalize same grade level structure to allow a team approach. This will ensure consistency and quality throughout our grades. As we continue to refine organizational structure, we are developing a frame work designed to foster a learning environment that inspires, mentors, and supports students, teachers and staff. Our teachers continue to embed technology into the core curriculum. This moves students’ skill level forward throughout the grades and is part of our vertical learning mandate.
- We have continuously invested in new technology. This year, three new state-of-the-art Smart Boards have been added to the school. UMS has been using iPads for a decade, researching, updating and replacing to new ipads and bringing in new apps. This ensures our students are always accessing the latest educational software.